Steven H. Begleiter is an awarding winning veteran editorial, and commercial photographer living in Denver. He is also an adjunct Professor at the Colorado Institute of Art.
His career began in NYC, starting as first assistant to Annie Leibovitz and the late Mary Ellen Mark. In 1982 he opened his first photo studio in Soho, NYC. His clients included: JW Thompson, Hill and Knowlton, AT&T, Forbes Magazine, US Magazine, Elle Magazine, Esquire Magazine and many others.
His first book of photographs " Fathers and Sons" (Abbeville Press 1989) was well received and sold over 25,000 copies in the first year. After working in NYC for 17 years, photographing for prominent advertising companies, design firms and international magazines, he was recruited by the University of Pennsylvania’s School of Design to teach photography. After 10 years of teaching, publishing two more photography books; continuing to take on commercial assignments; and develop personal projects, a change was on the horizon.
He was offered a teaching position with the Rocky Mountain School of Photography (RMSP) in Missoula, Montana. After his first summer in “Big Sky country,” he decided to move to Montana. He continues to practice his craft, photographing for magazines; architects; art directors and others.
Awards and Publications
- 2016 Black and White Spider Award " Storm Brewing"
- 2015 Black and White Spider Award
- 2015 Masters Cup International Color Award
- 2014 Black and White Spider Award
- 2014 Masters Cup International Color Award
- 2012 50 Lighting Setups for Portrait Photographers Vol.22008
- 2008 50 Lighting Setups for Portrait Photographers
- 2003 The Portrait Book: A Guide for Photographers
- 2001 The Art of Color Infrared Photography
- 1996 Recipient of the Greater Philadelphia Cultural Alliance Grant
- 1990 Creativity Magazine Certificate of Distinction
- 1989 Fathers and Sons; Abbeville Press
- 1988 Creativity for A&P Annual Report