Steven H. Begleiter is an internationally awarding winning photographer living in Denver. He is currently an adjunct professor at the Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design (RMCAD).
His photo career began in NYC, as first assistant to Annie Leibovitz and the late Mary Ellen Mark. In 1982 he opened his studio in Soho, NYC and worked on commissions for JW Thompson; Hill and Knowlton; AT&T; Forbes; US; Elle; Esquire. His iconic photograph of Bill and Ennis Cosby graced the cover of Time Magazine.
His first book of photographs " Fathers and Sons" (Abbeville Press 1989) was a critical and commercial success. After 17 years in NYC, he was recruited by the University of Pennsylvania’s School of Design to teach photography, where he authored two more photography books. Ten years later he moved to Missoula, Montana to teach at the Rocky Mountain School of Photography and authored two more photography books.
This Spring, 2020, his sixth photography book,
“ Photographic Lighting for Everybody” will be published by Amherst Media.
Awards & Publications
- 2018 Black and White Spider Award Nominee Architecture
- 2017 Black and White Spider Award Nominee Fine Art
- 2016 Black and White Spider Award " Storm Brewing"
- 2015 Black and White Spider Award
- 2015 Masters Cup International Color Award
- 2014 Black and White Spider Award
- 2014 Masters Cup International Color Award
- 2012 50 Lighting Setups for Portrait Photographers Vol.II
- 2008 50 Lighting Setups for Portrait Photographers
- 2003 The Portrait Book: A Guide for Photographers
- 2001 The Art of Color Infrared Photography
- 1996 Recipient of the Greater Philadelphia Cultural Alliance Grant
- 1990 Creativity Magazine Certificate of Distinction
- 1989 Fathers and Sons; Abbeville Press
- 1988 Creativity for A&P Annual Report